Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chalkboard Wall - Star Wars

As part of my Kitchen Makeover I added a huge chalkboard wall. Here is what I have done so far.

Chalkboard Wall - Star Wars - Yoda Quote


I thought it would be fun if I could transfer some coloring pages onto my new chalkboard wall.



I went out and bought this EZ Tracer Projector. I paid $25 for it, and it's alright, but it only projects a small part of the image at a time, so I had to shift the paper and the projector around 7 or 8 times to get a complete image on my wall about 3 ft tall with from the size of an 8x11 page. Needless to say it was a little tricky to keep the image in line what with keeping it tilted the same way, same distance from the wall and getting it the right height off the floor. I ended up with it perched atop books on various steps of a ladder. It also was very hard, but not impossible to see the image in the daylight at a projected distance of about 4ft. I however only had a 60w incandescent bulb to use from home, so with the reccommended compact flourescent bulb I am sure it would be much better.

Here is what I accomplished on day 1. I think I will try coloring them in tomorrow and see how that goes.

Star Wars Yoda C3P0 R2D2 chalkboard wall diy
R2D2, C3P0, and Yoda - Star Wars

Star Wars Yoda C3P0 R2D2 chalkboard wall diy
R2D2 and C3P0 - Star Wars - Chalkboard Art

R2D2 AND C3P0 Star Wars Chalkboard Art diy
Yoda - Star Wars - Chalkboard Art



If all goes well with the coloring and I decide that i really like doing this rather than drawing freehand all the time I may invest in a much better projector that can project a whole page at a time. My other option is to reduce the size of the pages on the photocopier, but this projector only magnifies 5x so shrinking it by 3x to start will is like 2 steps forward and one step back.

Stay tuned for an update!

Update: Completed Yoda!

Using Crayola Sidewalk Chalk. I bought a pack of 48 colors at Walmart for $6. They are a little more waxy than regular chalk so they don't quite blend as well. at 24hrs the test patch washed off the wall easily without leaving any ghosting. I tried a test patch of chalk pastels too but they did not wash off well with a damp cloth and did leave a tracer outline.

Overall quite pleased at how he turned out. I wasn't sure how I was going to preserve all the details, but found with the really little details I had to go over with the small chalk in as close of a color as I had.

Yoda - Star Wars - Chalkboard Art

Update Feb 17 : Completed R2D2. Was a little difficult coloring something that is almost entirely white.
Update: Feb 21 Completed C3P0. As you can tell it takes a few days to complete a drawing when you can only work during "nap time" lol. I hope you enjoy the completed pieces. Will be adding some text quotes soon.
R2D2 - Star Wars - Chalkboard Art
R2D2 and C3P0 - Star Wars - Chalkboard Art
R2D2, C3P0 and Yoda - Star Wars - Chalkboard Art
Yoda Quote - "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is"


1 comment:

If you have any questions, or I have missed anything, please leave me a comment and I will do my best to answer. I would also welcome leaving a link or picture of your completed project!